BEFORE INTRAVENOUS ANESTHESIA SEDATION
At Spring-Klein Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, many oral surgery procedures can be performed in the office with the aid of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen (laughing gas), oral sedation, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
By having one of the above mentioned anesthetics, you can approach your oral surgery knowing that it will be a safe and comfortable procedure.
***IF YOU ARE DIABETIC PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE FOR YOUR SPECIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS***
- NOTHING to eat 8 hours before your surgery and nothing to drink 2 hours before your surgery. Your last meal 8 hours before your surgery will be a clear liquid diet (water, tea, black coffee, sport drink, or fruit drink without the pulp) no solids or dairy products.
- No smoking for at least 24 hours before surgery and 48 hours after surgery
- A responsible adult (18 years old or older) must be with you in the office AT THE TIME OF SURGERY to drive you home and remain in the office during your surgery. Also, this person should plan to stay with you for 4 to 6 hours afterwards or longer if necessary, until the medication has completely worn off.
- Anyone under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.Due to the fact that an IV will be started in your arm and monitor leads are placed over your chest. Females DO NOT wear dark nail polish on your right index finger and do not wear pantyhose. Due to the need to have you laying back in the dental chair and having your head tilted upward;do not arrange your hair in a ponytail or bun at the back of your head.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Sitters prior to your surgical date for instructions.
You Must arrive 20-30 mins prior to your appointment time to complete paperwork. Please empty your bladder just prior to your appointment time. Your usual medications should be taken as directed unless instructed otherwise by your doctor or Dr. Sitters. In addition take your pre-medication prescribed by Dr. Sitters 1 hr prior to your appointment. When taking any medication please take them with as little water as possible.
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns before your surgery or are unable to keep your appointment at Spring-Klein Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Phone Number 281-547-0839